Thursday, May 13, 2010

David's feet

Of all the Old Testament characters, my hands down favorite is David. I'm honored that my name is Justin David King. I love the honest description of David in the text. I can believe the bravado of the Goliath showdown because of the brutal casualness of the Uriah murder. David's life was a roller coaster of highs and lows.

Up to the slaying of giants.

Down to En Gedi.

Up to the King of Israel.

Down to the body of Uzzah.

Up to the Ark in Jerusalem.

Down to the death of his son.

Up to the honor of Mephibosheth.

Down to the desertion of Absolom.

Up to the city of David.

Down to dashed construction dreams.

David's life was full of twists and turns, victories and defeats, thrills and heartaches. If you or I were to experience the life of David it might make us more poetic. It might make us express our feelings on paper. We wouldn't have some of our best Psalms without David.

Look at Psalm 18:2-3

"The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust: My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised. So shall I be saved from my enemies."

That entire Psalm is a collection of David's praise at the awesomeness of God as David's enemies were cast away and destroyed.

But David, in the middle of a great section dealing with warfare, gives us this line in verse 33: "He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, and sets me on my high places."

This is like Sesame Street. Which of these things is not like the other? Which of these things just doesn't belong? Arms, bow, war, bronze, deer, shield, battle.

It's the deer, right?

What is it about those little cute animals that hang around En Gedi?


This is one of the little guys that was waiting for us in the En Gedi parking lot on our trip to Israel.

This little fella (I'm assuming) was hanging out hoping for a little toss away cheese cracker lunch from the tourists.

A few minutes later, as we tried to get closer for pictures, this nimble footed creature jumped off the edge of the parking lot, hopped a concrete fence, navigated a very steep rock ledge, and then bolted away to safety.


If I had tried to run the obstacle course of this deer, I would be scraped, bruised, muscle sore, and beaten because I didn't have the feet of this deer.

I think that is what David is praising God for in verse 33.

David never asked for a smooth path. He never asked God to make his life easy. He never wanted God to take it all away.

What he did want was the right kind of feet.

If God would give David the right kind of feet, feet like a deer, David could handle any path God gave him.

So, like that deer that handled the rough path in Israel, David handled his life with the assistance of God.

Dear God, give me the right kind of feet in my life. Don't make my path easy, because if you did, I might forget you. God give me feet like the feet of a deer, that I might stand on the high places!

No comments:

Post a Comment